(including shipping costs)
Andy Irvine celebrated his 70th birthday in June 2012
but for those who love the man
and his music the party is just about to begin.
Andy marked his birthday in style when he gave his fans two unforgettable nights of music in Vicar Street. On stage with him were a host of his friends, musicians who had played, sung and collaborated with Andy over the many years of his professional life.
From his early days in Sweeney's Men with Johnny Moynihan and Terry Woods to Planxty with Dónal Lunny and Liam O'Flynn to his collaboration with Paul Brady and later with groups like Mozaik and LAPD, a glorious panorama of Andy's life and art unfolded before the eyes and ears of enraptured audiences.
TG4 broadcast a documentary film on Andy as part of it's acclaimed Sé Mo Laoch series and subsequently the broadcaster showed a live film recording of one of the concerts in Vicar St.
Now comes the moment when the experience of those two concerts can be relived. On 3rd October 2014 the ANDY IRVINE 70th Birthday Concert at Vicar St. 2012 on CD and DVD will be issued and the long wait will be over.
Between CD and DVD there are 29 tracks all performed and recorded live at the Vicar St. concerts. They encompass every aspect of Andy's musical genius and of his astounding skill as an instrumental player, singer and composer of classic Irish songs like “West Coast of Clare”, “O'Donoghues”,“Never Tire of the Road” and “My Heart's Tonight in Ireland”.
To hear Andy in performance is a delight on every one of the 12 tracks of the CD - Sweeney's Men songs like “Rattlin' Roarin' Willie” or with Paul Brady on “The Jolly Soldier” or on the great Planxty hit “A Blacksmith Courted Me” with its astonishing instrumental coda.
Evident on every frame of Philip King's film of the birthday concert DVD is the affection, loyalty and deep friendship he inspires in his fellow musicians and in his devoted fans.
Be prepared to be thrilled!
Many Happy Returns Andy!
- Nuala O'Connor -
1. Kitty's Rambles / The Humours of Ennistymon - LAPD
2. Sail Away Ladies / Walking in the Parlor - MOZAIK
3. Rattlin' Roarin' Willie - SWEENEY'S MEN
4. O'Donoghue's - LAPD
5. The Jolly Soldier / The Blarney Pilgrim - ANDY IRVINE & PAUL BRADY with LAPD
6. In Foreign Lands - George & Manolis Galoatsos with MOZAIK
7. My Dearest Dear - SWEENEY'S MEN
8. Suleman's Kopanitsa - MOZAIK with Liam O'Flynn
9. Plains of Kildare - ANDY IRVINE & PAUL BRADY with Dónal Lunny & Paddy Glackin
10. Romanian Horă / Black Jack Grove - MOZAIK
11. West Coast of Clare - LAPD
12. A Blacksmith Courted Me / Blacksmithereens - LAPD, PAUL BRADY & MOZAIK